Monday, December 04, 2006

corralled

Drew has been crawling all over the place. He follows us from room to room and can even push open doors (I have to remember to shut the door tightly when I use the bathroom :) and does not sit still for very long. Drew is starting to get calluses on his knees from all the crawling! Every night Drew and I run around the house with Drew on my shoulders. We both love it!
With Drew's mobility, it is nice to corral him every once in a while and know that he won't get into anything. We've set up his pack and play in our living room, so that Drew can play in it while Jana and I can get things done without worrying about what he's doing. Drew likes to stand up in it and watch us as we scurry by doing housework (and he likes to chew on the edge).

Occasionally, Drew plays so hard that he plays right out of his pants! Luckily for us, he has not learned to purposefully take them off, but every once in a while he manages to wiggle his way out of them.
I noticed that with Drew always on the move we haven't had many pictures of other people with Drew. Drew doesn't usually sit still long enough to snap a picture with someone! He seems a little better about being held by me than he is for most people, so this past week Jana managed to snap a couple pictures of the two of us while we were playing in the living room. Can you tell that we were having fun?
Jana has been having fun playing with Drew too. He has a great laugh that we love to elicit! Keep posted for some pictures of Jana with Drew in the near future! I don't have video of it yet, but in addition to Drew's skills with "dada," he is also saying "mama." While it is still a mixed bag, we think he can say both with some meaning. This past weekend Drew and I were in the living room with the kitchen door closed. Jana returned from running some errands and upon hearing her voice in the kitchen, Drew perked up, started crawling toward the closed door, and said "mama." Our small taste of him talking has us excited about more!

On Saturday Jana and I got to babysit Laynie, the daughter of our friends Rob and Alexis. Laynie is about five weeks old and she is tiny! Actually, she's almost exactly the same size Drew was at that age, but that already seems so little to us. Jana looks pretty thrilled to be holding a little baby again, doesn't she? I had to remind her that Drew does not need a sibling yet!!
Drew was fascinated by Laynie and we let him get some looks at her. He is around younger babies at day care, but none are as young as Laynie. He also scooted over to check out her baby carrier.
I couldn't let Jana have all the fun with Laynie! She slept most of the time she was over, and here I am working on getting her to wake up to be fed. We had a great time taking care of Laynie and reminiscing about when Drew was that small (which wasn't all THAT long ago).
Drew is continually fascinated by small items from around the house, especially from the kitchen. He loves measuring cups, spoons, and . . . spatulas! What fun!
Drew is really good at standing up and transitioning from crawling to standing, but every once in a while it is entertaining to watch him pull himself up on something and mash his face into it.
Anything that we leave sitting around is fair game for Drew to grab and play with. We really need to keep an eye on things we don't want him to have! In this picture he found one of my slippers and the cup I was drinking from and claimed them as toys.

Last night Jana snapped this picture of Drew "camouflaged" by our blue shirts. Of course, we couldn't get Drew to smile, only to stick out his tongue :)

No comments: