Monday, July 17, 2006

Drew in the pool

Last night Jana and I "weighed" Drew on our scale (I get on the scale and weigh myself, then Jana hands me Drew and we subtract my weight from the weight of both of us to determine his weight) and he's around 16 pounds now. He continues to become more animated, to get bigger, to get stronger, and to get even more fun to be around. We just had someone comment in church on Sunday how big his hands and feet are for his age, so like a puppy that grows into its paws, we expect that Drew's going to be a tall boy someday!

One of my favorite moments this past weekend was getting up to do Drew's morning feeding on Saturday. The two of us spent a little over an hour together before Jana got up and it was so much fun! Drew is at his best in the morning right after he gets up, so after feeding him we were giggling away and having a great time. I have to add a disclaimer that Jana almost ALWAYS does Drew's morning feedings, so Saturday was a treat for both of us. Drew is now wearing 9-12 month outfits like this onesie. He's not too big for most of his clothes; he's just too long!
Drew loves to chew on everything in reach. I got a kick out of him trying to get his mouth around the seal toy on his swing, so I snapped a couple of pictures. While doing this he produces tremendous amounts of drool. Mmmmm.


I continue to get the legitimate complaint that there are not enough pictures of Jana on the blog. She does most of the caring for Drew, but I get most of the photo opportunities on the blog. It just isn't fair! I'm trying to take more pictures of Jana, but we just seem to have a lot of me and Drew together. Here are a couple of Jana and Drew from this past weekend:
On Saturday morning we went for a hike before it got too hot out (it was still pretty warm even at 9 a.m. though). We haven't shown a picture of Drew in the Baby Bjorn for a while, so you can see that he has made enough progress in his neck strength so that he can face forward in the Baby Bjorn. As the hike progressed Drew got sleepy and he spent the last half hour sleeping with his chin resting on the front of the Baby Bjorn. Drew and I were both a little sweaty after the hike!
We recently purchased a pool for Drew and on Saturday I blew up the inflatable sides and put a couple inches of water in it. With temperatures in the 90s on Saturday, we thought it would be a great afternoon to "hang out by the pool." Below I am holding Drew as he gets ready for his afternoon by the pool. Hat? . . . check . . . Sunglasses? . . . check . . . Swimmie diaper? . . . check. Drew was ready to go!
Here I am holding Drew right before going into the pool for the first time.
Watch the progression as Drew gets ready to go in the water for the first time. Keep in mind that I filled the pool on Saturday, so even with the warm temperatures the water was a little cool. Drew's feet are about to touch the water.
I stood Drew up in the water at first. He looked rather skeptically down at his feet.
But soon Drew got used to having his feet in the water and he settled right in on my lap.
And then I tried to put him down into the water, and you can see that he didn't like that too much!

Drew did get more used to the water, but because it was cool he didn't like to be in it for very long. We're leaving the water in the pool for a day or two to warm up and then we'll try going in with him again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous family website. Vryhofs used to be our neighbors on Cambridge Ave. What young great grandparents they are. I loved seeing all of your vacation pix. Wouldn't Grandma Agnes Gezon be thrilled to see Drew growing up! Drew has a fabulous gene pool and heritage on which he can rely.