Monday, August 23, 2010

end of summer

It's been a while since I've updated on here, and I was reminded by my brother Todd that I actually do have a blog and that people do check it.  I was realizing that I've kept this blog going for over 4 1/2 years now and that it has included many posts and pictures.  It continues to be the record of our experience raising Drew and Kate.  Todd's reminder got me curious about who is actually reading the blog still.  If you read this post, can you drop me a brief e-mail? (m_aupperlee@hotmail.com)  Thanks!

Summer for our family ended last week went Jana went back to work for the fall semester at MSU.  Prior to returning there was lots of fun in the month of July.  It has been unusually warm in Lansing this summer, so that has meant a lot of time finding ways to play in the water.  Many a late morning or afternoon was spent in our backyard running through the sprinkler.  Kate and Drew had a blast with this little ring sprinkler and never seemed to tire of playing in it.  It feels good!
One of our favorite things to do is romp in the living room.  Sometimes it gets hot though, and clothes tend to come off!  In this picture Drew and Kate are sprinting through the living room prior to their nightly bath.  This game often involves Jana and I lying on the floor taking turns catching and tickling them.  It only spurs them on to escape and attempt to run faster the next time.  Drew handles this game very well and does a nice job of not steamrolling Kate as they blitz through the living room.
Often around the house I get hot and take off my shirt.  The next thing we know, both kids are looking up at me shirtless and saying, "I'm hot too."  One evening Drew had his shirt off and got the opportunity to talk with one of the grandmas.  For someone who eats like a horse, he looks so skinny and like a big boy in this picture!  The other day Drew had five pancakes, four slices of bacon, an egg, and fruit for breakfast.  Twenty minutes later he was hungry and asked for cereal!  Where does he put it?
Um yeah, another night with no shirts.  We love this picture because Drew and Kate are so clearly siblings.  Look at the similarities!
In July, the kids and Jana visiting my family in northern Michigan at a cottage on a lake.  Drew and Kate had great fun down by the lake, which was nice and shallow.  Perfect for the kids to play in!
Kate, our adventurous child, took off on her own pushing this thing around.  As on the playground, that girl is fearless.
Kate and Drew had fun on the dock watching Grandpa Bill fish.  He caught several fish and Drew and Kate were fascinated.  That was one of the things I heard about when they got home: the fish Grandpa Bill caught.
Drew man (one of his nicknames) hanging out by the water.  Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that he's just barely 4 1/2!
The other part of July (and part of the reason we don't have as many pictures of the kids) Jana and I took a trip to Wyoming to celebrate our 10th anniversary.  We were gone for 9 days without the kids while each set of grandparents watched Drew and Kate for us.  Drew and Kate had a blast with their grandparents and enjoyed the extended time they were able to spend with them.  Jana and I loved the freedom of getting away for a while with just the two of us.  In the picture below, I'm perched next to Lake Solitude, which was a 16 mile round-trip hike we could never have done with Drew and Kate.
We thought of Drew and Kate at the end of this hike, which was in Yellowstone National Park and brought us to the top of a mountain that had a fire watch tower on top of it.  What a view!  Drew and Kate both love anything firefighting related and they enjoyed hearing our stories and seeing our pictures of this peak.
It was a lot of fun to spend several days with this view, but we were awfully excited to return to Michigan and Drew and Kate.  It was fun to come home to them and to be extremely grateful for spending time with them again!

No comments: