Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Apple picking

This past weekend our family headed out to the Country Mill for our first time apple picking this season.  It was our first time because we'll go back at least a couple more times.  We enjoy it that much!  We enjoy picking the apples ourselves and it's fun for us to look at Drew and Kate and see them each munching away on apples as we walk along.  Of course, our trip also involves fresh donuts and cider.  Lots of apples, lots of donuts, and some cider tastes great, but we usually leave with a slight stomach ache!  It is definitely worth it though.

Drew used the apple picker quite well and helped us get some higher-up apples.
This is a rarity: Drew did a great job posing for the camera.  We're wondering if he's finally emerged from that awkward stage of not sitting still or posing well and is back to producing great pictures.  Super cute!
Kate had great fun walking around the orchard and sampling the apples.  This was her first year out of the stroller and walking around on her own.  We kept a careful eye on her because she was prone to want to pick up apples off the ground and take a bite out of them.  Yuck!
Here's one more of Drew at the orchard.  Also this weekend Drew and I had an event on our own and Jana and Kate had their own event.  Drew and I went miniature golfing on Saturday afternoon while Jana and Kate went out for coffee and to the playground.  Drew has been intrigued by miniature golf and asking about, so the two of us hit the course.  Drew did fairly well.  While I don't think we have another Tiger Woods-level talent on our hands, I was astonished when on our fourth hole Drew sank a fifteen footer for par (a two).  To his credit, Drew seemed pretty surprised as well!  I was left with a five foot putt that I missed and with that it had only taken Drew four holes to get a better score than me.  Given that I was actually trying to make the putt, it was quite humbling.  Drew managed to best me once again later in the round.  Most importantly, we had a wonderful time and Drew is looking forward to trying it again.  Kate and Jana also enjoyed their woman time and we're looking forward to occasionally splitting up in the future along gender lines for some fun events.

No comments: