Thursday, March 25, 2010
what did you do over the weekend?
I'll start with a picture of Kate, but this post isn't about the kids. It's more about what I've been up to lately to provide a good home for them! I can't post though without at least one picture of my girl.
Last weekend I started a small bathroom project of replacing the floor and sink. I've done this stuff before, so I thought it would be no big deal. As you can see from the picture below, it ended up being a big deal! I found lots of water damage, ended up calling my dad for help, and we did a complete demolition of the bathroom. In this picture, we've removed the bathtub (with another guy, Jeremy) and all the rotten drywall and all the wet insulation and we're letting everything dry out. We also removed all the remaining tile that was left. The bathroom was empty, all the way down to the floorboards.
This is where the bathtub used to be. It was a little freaky to get to this point (okay, a lot freaky), but we continued one step at a time and started to slowly reconstruct the bathroom.
First, we added back in a new bathtub and then put in the new subfloor and floor. That's pictured in the photo below.
Next, we added back in insulation and began to put up boards for a solid, smooth surface for the tub surround.
After that, I began to work on the edges of where the new tub surround will go, by using drywall mud to smooth the surface.
I also rebuilt all the areas of drywall that we had destroyed, particularly in the corner below the mirror.
Here's a close-up of the bathtub, and this is how we've been using it during this week while I work toward adding a new tub surround.
Finally, here's a picture from tonight. I'm almost done with all the drywall mudding and sanding, so tonight I started priming the walls to see how it would look. It's exciting to be almost done!
Here's a picture of the other end of the bathtub, which is also almost finished. The only major thing left is the tub surround . . . and I'm getting professional help for that part!
It was a pretty crazy weekend, but we've got a functional bathroom again in terms of a bathtub and toilet, and we'll be back to full capacity this weekend. Why is that a big deal? We have one bathroom! Talk about working under pressure! I'm glad though to have everything replaced and when we try to sell our house, we can advertise a bathroom completely remodeled in 2010.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment