Monday, March 09, 2009

stomach flu . . . yuck

At the Aupperlee home we've been hit hard lately by the stomach flu. Jana got it first last week, Kate followed the next night, Drew picked it up the following night, and I managed to help everyone back to health . . . and now it's my turn. I'm home today with a bout of stomach flu myself. I knew it was only a matter of time!

While home I thought I'd make myself useful and I'd post on the blog. This is actually Kate pre-flu, and we think she may have thinned out a bit as the result of her illness. She's back to her usual eating and drinking though, so we're not concerned about her weight! On Friday morning I stayed home with a sick Kate and we allowed Drew to stay home too. He probably enjoyed Kate being sick because of all the time he got to spend with me and Jana (although he got sick later that night himself). Drew was in full firefighter mode. He put on his coat, his firefighter shirt, and he even added his own touch: a "tool" belt for his fireman tools. He put together some of Kate's toys and wore them around his waist as a belt.
Next, he headed to the stairs. The stairs in our house are his fire engine and he gets into the fire engine (goes onto the stairs) and shuts the door of his fire engine and then drives around. He goes and saves people from fires and makes trips to McDonald's (I'm not making that up!).

After playing for a bit Drew was soaked with sweat from his fire helmet. I'm sure real firefighters can appreciate that the helmet gets hot after a while!
Drew put his hat and coat back on to go in the basement to play some golf. I don't have video of it yet, but Drew can not only hit a baseball, but he also swings away (like a hockey player) at the golf ball.
To protect Kate from the balls flying around, I strap her into our stroller and she plays with some wiffle balls of her own. She loves holding a ball!
Kate was so cute crawling around in her outfit that I couldn't resist taking her picture (she was sick with the flu at this time!).
Kate has been working on walking around and lately she's been working on walking behind her walker. She cruising around the living room behind her stroller.
Kate has also been crawling up and down stairs. Whenever Drew heads for the stairs to be on his fire engine, Kate wants to join him. She loves the stairs!
I got new glasses about a month ago and haven't had a picture with them posted on here yet, so here are a few with me wearing my glasses and playing with Drew and Kate. They both made it to the top of the stairs and were romping around me. Drew was having great fun crawling all over me.
Kate made it up the stairs and decided to join us. Jana snapped some pictures while Drew, Kate, and I giggled away! I'm sure every parent has something somewhat embarrassing that your child says and you wonder, "Where did he/she pick that up??" Well, I happened to catch one of those moments on tape. Drew and Kate were playing in the bathtub one night when Drew put a cup in his mouth and started blowing on it. I made the mistake of asking him what he had in his mouth. He was using a . . . "smoker." Where did he learn that??? We don't smoke! As a cancer researcher I'm vehemently opposed to smoking. Is he pushing my buttons already?!
I thought you would get a kick out of this video. It's not often these moments are captured on tape (thank goodness).

No comments: