Monday, February 16, 2009

Spring training . . . in the basement

We had some warmer weather here in Lansing recently, and we were able to try out Kate's new spring coat. I'll have to get a better picture of it because it's very cute! Kate loves the bath and usually doesn't like getting out of it. When she's wrapped up and being held by Jana, then it's not too bad though. Kate is ridiculously fun to hold right after she gets out of the bath. She's much more snuggly than Drew ever was at this point, and she's the perfect size for holding.
Kate was proud of herself the other night as she flipped through Newsweek. Who knew she was so into news magazines already?
Drew is almost always on the go right now, and he's very difficult to capture in a photo. In this post I've got some of our best efforts to capture him. We're taking lots of pictures of Kate, who poses all the time for the camera, but Drew requires much more effort.
Jana and I gave Drew this Cars puzzle for his birthday, expecting it would provide a challenge for quite some time. It took Drew about three days, and he now puts the whole thing together by himself in minutes. He's pretty good at puzzles! It's fun to teach him how to approach puzzles, and I have a feeling we'll be doing a lot of these in the future with him.
This is Kate's new game: she puts a mouse on her head and then "finds" it for us. It produces a laugh EVERY time!! You'll also notice that our sockless wonder managed to get one of her socks off. She does this all the time. We struggle constantly to keep her feet warm and in her socks.
Jana snagged Drew long enough for a quick picture with him. He does NOT sit still for long!
Drew's feet continue to grow along with the rest of him, and we recently moved him up to his new size 10 shoes, pictured below. He keeps on getting bigger! Drew is taller than everyone his age we know and he's starting to pass children a year older. He's a big boy!
Jana used the action setting on our camera to snap this picture of Drew as he ran by.
Drew got a tee ball set for his birthday, and he's been having great fun trying it out in the basement. He wants me to stand about two feet away as he lets it rip with a full swing right at me. I make him wait until I'm ready before he can swing! Drew found one of my old hats and he always puts this on as his batting helmet. I have no idea how he learned that you need a helmet to bat, but he always surprises us. He wears it to bat and then if I take a turn hitting the ball, I need to put on the helmet before I can hit.
Sometimes the hat gets in the way, so Drew turns it around. He LOVES playing in the basement (basketball, golf, football, and now baseball are our sports of choice).
Here are a few more pictures of Drew in action. He can hit the ball quite well, although he likes to swing the bat back and forth to line it up. Right now all his sports are hybrids. He swings his golf clubs like a hockey stick, and with baseball he just swings away without any sort of form.
Drew gives a yell as he hits the ball. Often, it will go whistling by my head as I don't have time to even get a hand up to it. Drew loves it when I jump out of the way of the ball. Don't worry, they are tiny plastic whiffle balls!
This isn't the greatest video, but it will give you some idea of what Drew's been doing with his hitting. He sets the ball up at one point, then waits for me to let him know I'm ready. I usually do need to get ready!!

No comments: