Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Future farmer?
I've got a post today that has a lot of Drew pictures in it (Kate was in her Baby Bjorn again for the latest experience), so I thought I'd start with a picture of Kate and end with a little video of her. She looks so cute in her dress, doesn't she?
Today Drew had an experience almost on par with his visit to Uncle Todd's fire station. We went to . . . the MSU Ag Expo. I'll bet you didn't see that coming! As I've mentioned before, Drew loves anything mechanical and there are lots of engines and machines associated with farming, so naturally Drew loves farming equipment. Every year MSU hosts the Agricultural Expo featuring many farming supply companies at a huge outdoor exhibition ground. Upon arriving, Drew went straight for the tractors! Look at how little Drew was standing next to the tractor! This wasn't even one of the really big tractors. Drew and I climbed up onto a combine harvester that was $480k. Wow!!
Despite their immense size, Drew clambered right on up the tractors, got in the driver's seat and proceeded to "drive" the tractors. By my conservative estimate, Drew "drove" at least 20 different tractors. It was an excellent morning.
Drew drove open air tractors that were smaller like this one as well as larger tractors with a cabin. You can see the scrape on his forehead in some of these pictures, which is still pretty prominent. This past weekend and again today we've had LOTS of people ask "Oh, what happened??"
Jeremy, an Ag Expo veteran, came with us to show us around all the farming equipment. He's sitting in the passenger seat while Drew drives this tractor. You can see some of the other equipment at the Expo in the background.
I didn't get a great shot of Drew' face here, but I think you can see how excited he is by all the levers on the tractor. There is so much to touch and so little time!!
Drew and I stopped by the MMPA's "Daisy" to have our picture taken. For those of you who aren't agriculturally savvy, MMPA stands for the Michigan Milk Producers Association. We drink 4-5 gallons of milk a week in our house, so Drew and I (the two biggest milk drinkers) are grateful for the efforts of the MMPA.
The tractors that Drew went on were HUGE!! I hope this picture gives you some sense of their scale. Drew climbed right on up steps and ladders to get into the tractors regardless of their size. He was a man on a mission to drive those tractors!
I'm happy that Drew likes the tractors, but NASCAR too?? I've learned a lot in the past year or two about tractors and farming, but now I guess I need to brush up on racing a little bit too. Drew's interests at this point lie in areas outside my knowledge base. Drew was fascinated by this car that was part of a display for the Michigan International Speedway.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment