Tuesday, April 15, 2008

kiss on the head

I've got LOTS more to write about and LOTS of pictures to show, so I'll get started. We're continuing to have a great time as a family of four! I thought I'd start with a picture of me grinning away because this is what both Jana and I have been doing since Kate was born. We're not as nervous and scared as we were with Drew, so this time we are just enjoying being parents! Last week my grandparents stopped by to see their great-grandchildren. Drew immediately plopped down for a story while my grandpa enjoyed some rare time holding Kate (great-grandma usually swoops in and grabs her great-granddaughter!).
Kate slept almost the whole time they visited. She continues to sleep pretty well and this week we've gotten her trained to fall asleep on her own. Jana worked hard at it, but it's so nice to be able to put her down and let her fall asleep without holding her!

Here is Kate doing her own version of the "Zoolander" face that Drew did for us after he was born. She just can't help it that she's really, really good looking.
Here is Kate's first video! Actually, it isn't that exciting because Kate does almost nothing in the way of tricks. At this point, Kate's greatest strength is how warm and snuggly she is to hold. She eats, she sleeps, she dirties her diaper, and occasionally she's awake and looking around. I can't wait for her to get a little older! :)




Whoa, this was a big yawn! We love Kate's baby yawns, sneezes, and hiccups. We forgot how much fun those things are with newborns!
Last week Kate got her first bath. Well, it wasn't really a full bath, but she did get sponged off. We're still waiting for Kate's cord to fall off and then we'll get her in the bath. In the mean time, Jana, Drew, and my mom got Kate all cleaned up.
Drew was so excited to be helping out! He got up on his stepstool and he was right in the middle of the action (getting in the way :)
Kate was so cute in her towel! It was hard not to grab her up and hold her. She's been getting more and more alert with each day, and it's fun to see her eyes. We can't tell what color they're going to be, but it's looking like she might have brown eyes.
Here is an action shot of the cleaning. You can't see Kate's face, but she didn't really enjoy the whole bathing process. She doesn't like being naked at all, now that I think about it. She screams whenever we take her clothes off for new clothes or whenever we change her diaper. Eventually she'll get used to it because it's not like we're going to stop doing either of those things!
A warm body and an arm to hold her . . . Kate's perfect recipe for another nap!
Jana was thrilled the other night when Drew came to sit with her and Kate. It's so much fun to have our two kids sitting with us. What a treat!!
Kate and I were sitting around on Sunday afternoon having a little chat. She can hear pretty well and will turn her head to the sound of a voice. The two of us like to sit there and look at each other.
As Kate was looking up at me I made sure that Jana got a picture of it. She was so alert and calm! Jana and I are both amazed at how tiny and easy to hold she is. We're so used to lugging Drew around that Kate seems like a feather in comparison.
Sunday night it was my turn to get both kids to sit with me! Drew ate his bedtime snack in my lap while Kate was over my shoulder sleeping. It was so much fun to have both of them sitting with me.
Another picture of Kate sleeping (and bringing her hands to midline). With Jana being the developmental specialist that she is, we take note of developmentally appropriate things like hands to midline. In case you were wondering, Kate is right on track developmentally for a one-week-old baby. Phew!! :)
Yes!! Last night my boy and my girl got in my lap again! Kate was wide awake for this picture and Drew grabbed my arm and put it around him. Drew has been affectionate ever since the birth of his sister and Jana and I are eating it up. We love to give him hugs and kisses!

Drew is still the most entertaining child in our house (for now), and he was excited the other day eating his muffins. He was so excited in fact that he started doing a muffin dance that I was able to capture on film. What fun!

Drew has been amazing around Kate and I can't brag enough about him! Jana and I are so proud of how he's handled being a big brother. This video is how almost every interaction is between Drew and Kate. I'm sure that won't always happen in the future, so we're enjoying it!!

No comments: