Friday, April 25, 2008
First bath
Kate has been growing this past week! Well, I have to admit that we THINK she's been growing this week. After our humbling doctor's visit a week ago, we're not quite as confident as we were initially, but she is eating VERY well. Between breast feeding and finger feeding she's regularly taking down 3 ounces of milk at each feeding. With that much going into her, Kate has to be bulking up! Even if we make it back to her birth weight, Kate will still be a little six pounder. She's very easy to pick up and hold.
We've had wonderful warm weather this week and as a result, our front door has been open a lot to let the spring air in. Drew absolutely loves standing at the door and looking out at the street. Jana and I think that someday he's going to be one of those old people that set up their recliner to look out at the street and "keep an eye on things."
With the door open there are all sorts of fun noises to figure out. Drew runs to the door at the sound of birds, cars, trucks, squirrels, ambulances (going to the hospital near our house), and dogs barking. Every sound is an opportunity to look for the source!
Drew continues to be an excellent big brother and Jana and I are very proud of him. He's getting to be such a big boy!
I basically threw this picture in because like the one before it, it reminds me how much Drew is growing up. His face continues to change and Drew is growing like crazy. He's thinned out into a sturdy young boy.
All the successful efforts to feed Kate have left Jana and I exhausted. We both came down with colds this week. Without enough sleep we weren't able to fight it off! I'm excited though because unlike with Drew, I've been much more helpful this time around. Almost every night I do one feeding independently so that Jana can get some sleep. As with Drew, Jana is our anchor and she does the majority of the care for Kate. She is tremendous despite her lack of sleep! One more thing to note about this picture is to look at how tiny Kate is in comparison to me. She normally looks small, but she looks even smaller when I am holding her.
Jana zoomed in for a closer look at Kate sound asleep on my chest.
Quite often after eating Kate gets VERY sleepy. She's getting ready for a diaper change here, and she's totally oblivious to the impending clean diaper that's coming.
We've been having fun taking pictures of Drew and Kate (as you might have noticed), so here's another one of her sleeping. Jana and I are continuing to have a lot of fun with Kate, despite the lack of sleep and runny noses we're experiencing!
Kate is so much fun to hold on your chest! She's a much better eater now than she was even a week ago, but sometimes she'd rather do this than eat. If she's sleepy, then we get tough with her and strip her down to her onesie to wake her up. If that doesn't work, she gets flicks on her feet! Sometimes we have to be mean to get her to eat :)
This is Kate's first official bath! Her cord fell off now, so we can put her in the bath. She got in and immediately loved it. She was alert and wide-eyed the entire time Jana bathed her.
I think with Drew I used a black bar to protect his modesty, but here Jana threw a washcloth over Kate. It's fun to see her little body in the water, but you don't need to see her WHOLE body! :)
This remains one of my favorite parts of bathing Drew, and it is fun with Kate too: wrapping them up in a towel after a bath!
Grandma Lynn has already made a couple trips to Lansing to help out Jana for the day (and to see her grandchildren, of course). It has been wonderful to have the two Grandmas be willing to come to Lansing and watch Drew and Kate so that Jana can get some extra rest or get some things done.
Kate is getting stronger and stronger, which I love because her floppy neck makes me nervous. I can't wait until she can hold her head up on her own! Kate makes my hands look HUGE, doesn't she?
We've been able to spend some time outside in the evenings as a family. Drew basically runs all over while Jana and I watch him. He's playing here on our deck with his fire engine toy while Jana and Kate relax and watch him go.
Drew was squirming away as soon as we got the camera, but this was easily the highlight of my day today. Kate and Drew were both sitting with me until we got out the camera, and then Drew wanted to "see pictures of Drew." We haven't been able to get it across to him that in order to see pictures of himself, Drew needs to sit still and let us take his picture first!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment