In the picture below the kids and Jana are watching "Toy Story" (the original). We don't watch much TV and Drew and Kate have only seen a handful of movies. As you might guess from their glued-to-the-TV expressions, watching a movie was pretty exciting. I think I could have waved candy or anything else from where I was taking this picture and it would have gone completely unnoticed!
I can tell this picture was taken a while ago because it was still warm out. I think I've mentioned this before . . . both Drew and Kate like to mimic things that Jana and I do. Well, when I get hot I often take off my shirt at home. Now Drew and Kate do it too whenever they are hot! While we're not encouraging shirt removal (especially for Kate), it is pretty cute to see them running around in jeans and no shirt in the basement.
It has been a while since I've posted on here because next I've got a series of pictures from Halloween! Yes, we did celebrate Halloween this year, I've just been really, really late in getting these pictures on here. In the first one Drew is showing off his police uniform. He got this at the end of last year and has been eagerly waiting to wear it for Halloween. Drew has wanted to be a policeman for several years, but we haven't been able to find a good costume. I guess most children don't want to be a policeman for Halloween. Finally, after much searching, we found this SWAT officer uniform. Drew was thrilled. It has a club, handcuffs, a walkie-talkie, and percussion grenades. Pretty cool stuff.
Drew and his friend in Mario costume get ready to go out trick-or-treating. We went out again this year with a group of friends and their children.
This year for Halloween Kate wanted to be a firefighter. She was originally hoping to be a "princess firefighter," which involved a firefighter coat and hat with princess skirt and shoes, but the princess part got dropped (that was her decision). Clearly, this is a little girl with an older brother and an uncle who is a firefighter, as this is probably not a common little girl choice for costume.
Here's the crew getting ready to head out. With our policeman and firefighter, we had the emergency services pretty well covered. We were also well prepared in case the MSU students decided to riot :)
Drew was a candy-getting machine. We had him dressed warmly as it was quite cold out, but we didn't anticipate that he would run the whole time (seriously, the WHOLE time). By the end, we'd had to empty his bucket a few times because it got too heavy for him and Drew was completely drenched with sweat. Both Drew and Kate had quite the haul of candy, and both had a great time.
The week after Halloween we took a trip to Chicago. We're such Michigan people that we realized it was the first time Drew and Kate had left Michigan! We headed down to Chicago to show Drew and Kate the "big city" and also to visit our friend Nora. For most of the trip we did a terrible job of remembering to use the camera. We visited the Field Museum and had a blast. On our way to Nora's place, we drove by Wrigley Field to show Drew and Kate one of Chicago's landmarks.
Both Drew and Kate loved visiting Nora's place. It's on the 12th floor, which is the highest they had ever been in a building. They loved the view and they loved the fact that it was so high up. Drew and Kate aren't too tough to please though. In the picture below Kate was exclaiming over her reflection in a shiny pot!
Both Drew and Kate clambering onto these ledges running around the apartment and put their hands all over the windows as they looked out.
After a while Drew and Kate slowed down a bit. Drew found a toy magazine that Nora had, while Kate pulled out the New Yorker for some light reading (I'm serious; that's what Kate is holding).
As they continued to read, they migrated to Nora's bed and made themselves at home. At one point, both kids were sitting under the covers enjoying their reading and playing (we made sure Nora didn't mind!).
We're starting to get caught up, but keep posted for more pictures and stories!
No comments:
Post a Comment