Saturday, March 01, 2008
project
Drew has been busy the past week or two picking up new skills. Here he is showing off a skill he acquired a while ago . . . getting messy while eating. Drew loves tomato-based sauces, so pizza and marinara sauce with pasta are two of his favorite things. They aren't always the neatest things for him to eat.
Jana and I had some projects around the house (well, I guess they were my projects, but they benefited both of us) that required some help from Grandpa Bill. One Saturday he came to Lansing to help me, and Grandma Sue came along to play with Drew. Playing with Drew was a tough assignment, but Grandma Sue came through for us!
Drew was absolutely fascinated by what we were doing in the kitchen. Our first project was to install a new microwave above our stove. Drew kept on coming into the kitchen to see what we were doing. After some drilling, sawing, and grunting, my dad and I managed to get the new microwave installed. It works great and Drew gained a new appreciation for "microwaves" (he likes saying that word). Our second project was installing a new bathroom exhaust fan, but Drew didn't have much to do with that project. Drew is now fascinated by doing "projects" with me, so I turn some normal task into a "project" and we get out the toolbox or do something to make up a project.
Grandpa Bill helped Drew convert the microwave box into "Drew's house." He installed a window on the side with a piece of rope to help Drew close the window. The window provides an excellent opportunity for lengthy games of peek-a-boo.
Drew got a blanket to make his house a little more comfortable. The box was the perfect size for him to sit in and play (although he is a little tall for standing in it).
The window was also good for putting things in and out of the house. I guess Drew's visitors, like his bear, come in through the window.
Drew loves taking a bath and he also has been enjoying taking a shower with me. The water coming out of the shower head is fascinating to him! When he's in the bath I can't resist taking pictures of his smile because it is usually such a joyful time (until Drew has to get out).
Drew recently got a stepstool. He uses it to get up to the kitchen sink when he's helping with dishes, and he uses it when he brushes his teeth. He has gone up and down the steps MANY times since we got it, and it's one of his favorite things to do right now.
Here Drew is in action brushing his teeth with mom in the morning. The three of us all brush our teeth before putting on our shoes and coats to leave the house.
I have a couple of non-Drew related pictures from a 1980s party that Jana and I attended. Jana and I both did our best to re-create a look from the 80s. Here is Jana:
The most prominent feature of my costume was . . . a mustache. I've never had a mustache before (and I don't know if I ever will again), but for this party I shaved off the bottom of my goatee and left the mustache. Mmmmm. Looking good! (not really) The mustache is already gone and I'm back to a goatee again.
Some excited news for Uncle Todd is that he's been hired as a Battle Creek Fire Fighter! Yay Todd!!! We saw Uncle Todd last weekend to celebrate his birthday and he showed Drew his new helmet. Drew could hardly hold up his head while wearing it. It's heavy!
Todd put on his full turnouts and helmet to show Drew (Drew thought that with the helmet it was scary). Now Drew keeps saying "Uncle Todd is a firefighter." We are all very proud that Uncle Todd got into a fire department.
Where is Uncle Todd when you need him to put out a fire? Just kidding, this picture is from the Japanese steakhouse where we went to celebrate Todd's birthday and Kelli's birthday. The chef makes some pretty good-sized flames a couple points in the meal preparation. Drew's eyes were huge!
Drew was glued to what the chef was doing (they toss knives around and bang on the cooking surface and basically do quite the presentation), but he wasn't quite comfortable with it either. I don't think he knew what to make of it.
Drew has been showing off for the videos lately, so keep an eye out for some more videos coming soon.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment